Another Weekend, Another Race!

In the last 4 weeks I have competed in 6 races as part of a 7-week racing block ahead of my first ‘A’ race of the year – National Triathlon Standard Distance Championships! These were;
  • Deva Standard Distance Triathlon
  • Leeds Aquathon
  • Lincoln AA Delta Simons Aquathon
  • Alford Wheelers 10mile TT
  • Woodhall Spa Sprint Distance Triathlon
  • Cholmondeley Castle Series Standard Distance Triathlon

Deva Standard Distance Triathlon – Sunday 24th June
Deva triathlon was the first tri Angus and I booked for this year as its one of Angus’ favourite events and I was keen to give it a go. Not long after we booked it we also found out it was a qualifier for the 2017 World Championships in Rotterdam so was a good opportunity for Angus to qualify so we could both compete in September (I have already qualified being British Champion from last year).

Trying to save money (to spend on more races haha!) we decided not to get a hotel for the race but this meant we had a 3am start. It was a struggle eating my porridge at 3am as well as staying awake, luckily for me I could sleep in the car while Angus drove!

When we arrived at Chester we went to registration where we got our race pack which included a decent swim hat (not a horrible thin one), race number (with our names on), stickers for helmet and bike, tattoos, nice thin timing chip, race t-shirt and a goodie bag!


Angus and I then went to transition where we quickly set up all our kit before heading to the swim start so we could watch the first wave go off. It was a nice wide start which made me feel better about having a mixed gender swim start.

We got ready for the swim as my family arrived to support us which was good as we could leave our bags with them and phones for them to take lots of photos.


The river was a nice temperature when we jumped in after the race briefing. Angus and I swam about a bit as a little warm up before lining up at the start. It was good being able to start next to Angus as I knew at least one person near me wasn’t going to beat me up when the horn sounded haha. It was a nice start, not violent at all – it must be females that are the violent ones!


I swam next to Angus for the first 100m but then the guy on the other side of me decided he wanted to get on to Angus’ feet and completely cut me up and pushed me out and after a lot of splash I lost Angus L. After the next 400m (ish) I was swimming on my own until the turn around buoys but then on the way back down the river I could see a couple of swimmers in the distance so picked it up a bit to try and catch them, but didn’t quite manage it. 


When I got out it was quite a long run to transition involving some stairs but it was matted all the way which was good. My Zone3 Vanquish wetsuit came off nice and quickly and I had a fairly fast T1 going out on the bike 4th female overall.


The bike course was a bit undulating for the first 10 miles but after that there was a nice fast 5 miles followed by a flatter 10 miles back to transition. The course was on a variety of roads, some closed which made it safe and all major turns had marshals.


The run was 3 laps and the support from people watching was brilliant. It was a fairly flat run on a few different surfaces and you went over a two bridges each time which were filled with supporters making it a nice atmosphere that helped you get through the 10km.


It was also nice to have names on number as everyone was shouting your name in the busy areas which was very motivating. There was also good aid station on the run, drinks were given in bottles which made it easier to drink - lots better than plastic cups.


I was very tired at the finish (as you can tell in the photos haha!) but it was a nice surprise to see Angus waiting at the finish with his arms open so I could finish in his arms. It wasn’t as romantic a hug as planned as I almost knocked Angus over and I ended up on the floor.


After the finish I was given a towel and a finishers medal which are more added extras which made the event outshine any other. There was a good variety of snacks and drinks after race, including coke, Haribo, Jaffa cakes, bananas, water and other fruit! 

After recovering for a bit Angus and I went to the pool across the road from transition which was open for free to cool down and shower after the race. It was nice being able to shower and get changed after racing so we didn’t have to travel home all sweaty.

My second standard distance tri and first standard distance of 2017 was completed. It was a couple of minutes slower than my first standard distance but I know I gave it all on the day and its hard to compare different events. Angus had a really great race getting a standard distance PB and qualifying for World Champs.


I had high hopes for the event from the way Angus described it and I was not let down. This event goes above and beyond expectations and I would recommend to everyone. The organisers have thought of every little thing to make the event great and it’s the same price (or cheaper!) as other local events but you get so much more for your money including a brilliant race.

Leeds Aquathon
Angus and I weren’t looking forward to racing Leeds Aquathon after the shocking event last year, the only reason we entered it is because it was National Championships.

After looking at the start list the competition was much harder than we were expecting so we knew it was going to be a tough race but a great bit of training for us. When we woke on Saturday it was a miserable day, it rained most of the way to Leeds and throughout the whole morning.

Arriving in the car park was definitely a lot less stressful than last year as they had actually put out a few signs and I could roughly remember whereabouts it was. Registration was okay, no signs for that but it was fairly easy to find anyway. The only annoying thing was having to know your race number and them not doing it by surname.

After registering Angus and I went to watch the youths swim from under as a tree as we wanted to leave putting our trainers in transition to as late as possible to avoid them getting full of rain.

Waiting for the race start seemed to take forever and even though we had already put our wetsuits on to keep warm I was getting really cold stood around.

The lake seemed warm when we got in and I wanted to do some swimming to warm up but we weren’t allowed. We just had to slide in and hold on to the side and wait for the start. When the horn went it took me a while to get going as I felt really stiff. By the first buoy I’d finally started to get going and started overtaking people to last buoy. Trying to sight the finish was really difficult with no flags or buoys or anything distinctive at the exit. I was sighting every other stroke to find the finish and slowed up a bit, having no body in front I could see to follow was annoying.

Out of the swim there was a long run to transition and I felt really breathless. I knew the run was going to be tough and was glad I’d left an inhaler in transition.

After having no problems with my asthma at Deva I thought things were looking up and I could finally reduce my dosage on both inhalers after increasing it since my attack at Glasgow. But I was wrong.

After leaving transition I tried to use my inhaler however I was already really breathless from the run out the swim so struggled to get much benefit from it. I thought about stopping after not wanting to bring on an attack like in Glasgow but couldn’t bring myself to stop mid race so I told myself I’d complete the first lap and see how I was.

Struggling for breath is hard enough, let alone struggling for breath and trying to run. The first lap I ran, jogged, walked, jogged, ran, jogged, walked, ran….

I also had a couple of puffs on my inhalers but I finished the 5K without bringing on an attack but it wasn’t any fun. I had a grumpy journey home after not knowing what was aggravating my asthma as I’ve had it for years. Why is it only starting to play up this year?

After looking at the results it turns out I managed to come 4th in AG and Angus came 5th. A tough day for us both.

Lincoln AA Delta Simons Aquathon
Now both Angus and I were exam free we could fit in a few mid week events as some quick training. On Wednesday 14th June, we raced the Delta-Simons Aquathon at Activities Away near Lincoln. It’s a really great, well organised Aquathon and a good way to get some open water practise too.

Angus and I had done a short 2K swim set in the morning then did some open water swimming prior to the race as after the Aquathon we were going to stay at my parents for a week so wouldn’t be able to get any swimming in then.

We got out of the water for the race briefing and to put our trainers at the side of the lake as the junior event was about to start and we didn’t want to be in the way. At the start of the swim I had planned to swim with Angus and work together or at least try and stay on his feet but I struggled to get going and wasn’t able to stay with Angus even though I’d been way ahead of him during the swim set in morning (but he is always much better in open water).

Getting out the lake I felt a bit breathless and was regretting not putting my inhaler with my trainers. I started running and tried to control my breathing, it was really difficult to get into a rhythm and think about running fast when struggling to get air in. I just ran at a bearable pace round the lake but when I got overtaken with only 500m to go putting me into second place I tried to pick it up which my lungs weren’t happy about. At the finish I struggled to control my breathing but with the help of Angus and Paul (Event organiser) I got it under control and an attack was prevented, phew! Thank you for your help at the finish and for a great event Paul! Angus and I will be back for another round in August.


Alford Wheelers 10mile TT
For our first day at my parents, Angus and I wanted to make the most of the quiet country roads and clean air so planned on doing a nice long ride. First we rode to my grandparents so Angus could get a haircut and we could have a quick catch-up before our ride. After talking to grandad, mainly about cycling (he’s probably one of the biggest cycling fans you’ll meet) he offered to pay for us to do the Alford Wheelers 10mile TT that evening. So for our morning ride we rode to the course and went round it and then rode back to my grandparents for some dinner and cake (thanks nan).


That evening the wind had picked up a lot so even though it was quite a flat course it was going to be tough on the way back in the headwind. Angus and I arrived at the start with my mum and grandad who had come to watch, I was going off second and Angus 19th. I watched the guy go off before me but when it was my turn I decided not to let the guys hold me and to push off and clip in on my own. When I went off I got clipped in and out my seat to build up my speed. It was nice going out as I had a tailwind and when I arrived at the 5mile turn around I was at 12.10 on my Garmin. I was a bit worried about the dead turn but I actually managed it fine.

After the turn I got out my seat and tried to get my speed up but it was much harder this time. Just after the turn I overtook my minute man and pushed to be first rider back. The wind was really strong and it was much harder to get into a rhythm on the way back. My average speed had dropped a lot but I was determined to break 30 minutes. When I got back my legs were like jelly so I was glad I didn’t have to run! I finished in a time of 29.00 and I can’t wait to do another one. After the race Angus and I went back to my grandparents for some more cake to celebrate! Now Angus and grandad have persuaded me to do a TT who knows how long its going to be before they manage to get me to do a cycle race haha!

Woodhall Spa Sprint Distance Triathlon
After a great few days at my parents in the lovely hot weather it wasn’t long until Sunday arrived (18th June). It was a late start (12.58pm) and only 40 minutes away so we had quite a relaxed morning. It was definitely the warmest day of the week, Angus and I made sure we put on lots of sun cream before we left and brought some with us.

When we arrived, we registered and set up our transition and then went to find some shade to try and keep cool. All my family had come to watch and my brother and sister had brought water guns and this was one of the only times I was actually glad to be squirted by them.


Before my race I got ready by the outside pool, it was fairly choppy and busy in the lanes and I was unfortunately in the lane where all the jets are so it was the choppiest. For the wave before me there was a mix up with the timings and they hadn’t been set off when my wave was getting in so everyone was a bit confused. They set off the wave before mine at 12.58 when I should have gone off with a countdown on 5,4,3,2,1 and GO. But then for my wave they just said go 10 seconds later and I never even heard it, I just looked across to find the others I my wave had gone so quickly set off.


The other swimmers in my lane had clearly lied about their times, the girl who set off just before me I lapped twice in the first 300m and the other girl once before she got out. I hate when people lie about their times as it holds you up, please just be truthful and use your time and not your ego time!


After a frustrating swim I had a quick T1 and was quickly out on to the bike. My mouth was instantly dry on the bike and I could feel the sun burning on my shoulders. I rode hard and wanted to try and get a good time on the bike as I knew running in this heat was going to be hard. I hit 29.32 for the first 10miles, not far off my TT time but after that I struggled a bit more and my average dropped in the last 5miles.

After T2 and out on to the run I was very glad to see my brother and sister at the end of the road waiting to blast me with their water guns. The cool water was nice but unfortunately didn’t keep me cool for long.

This year they charged for the car park so people tried to avoid this by parking down both sides on the single track run course and when cars were driving down the road it got blocked up. When I was on my run there was cars either side and a van and car driving down the middle slower than my walking pace so I ended having to walk 300m of the run as there was no way round and when there was a gap in between the parked cars at the side I sprinted to get round the slowly moving cars before being able to start running properly in front of them.

This really needs sorting for next year as it effected people’s race and isn't fair. Putting cones or something along the road to stop people parking there, car park was only £2, people should stop being so selfish. 

After the frustrating start to the run I got into a rhythm and picked up my pace to make up for the time lost. It wasn’t long until the water station and I had a little sip before chucking the rest over my head. Along the road people had got hose pipes out and I made the most of it and walked through them. Afterwards I picked it up again as I was about half way round the run and the rest was on a path mainly in shade so was going to be bit nicer than the first half.

Not long after I turned the corner to go left and start running on the path section a car backed into his drive off the road, expected him to stop as I was just about to run across his drive he didn’t and hit my side making my stumble a little but I stayed on my feet. It didn’t hurt, it just shocked me as I wasn’t expecting it. What was it with people???

I continued running and I felt a bit emotional at the finish line as I burst into tears. Not sure if it was from shock from the car or what, I just couldn’t stop the tears. A chat with Lee and the other OSB events staff and I was fine and smiling again and waiting around at the finish for Angus.


It wasn’t a smooth race but I was so happy that I had no problems with my Asthma throughout the race. Still not 100% sure on what is causing my asthma to play up but starting to think its living in Nottingham. Think I’ll just have to move back in with my parents in Lincolnshire, sure mum would love to have me back ;)


It turns out I managed to get a PB from last year and I won my age group which I wasn’t expecting and I also won the 20-24 AG for the Midland Sprint Series. Angus was 5 seconds off winning his age group which was annoying but won the Midland Sprint Series overall as well as the 20-24 AG.





Cholmondeley Castle Series Standard Distance Triathlon
I’d heard lots of good reviews for the Castle Series events so was excited to race at Cholmondeley Castle. When I woke up on Sunday morning (25th June) I didn’t feel great but just put it down to pre-race nerves. I managed to eat some of my porridge but it was a struggle.

When we arrived at Cholmondeley Castle it was raining and was cold, I wished I’d brought my Swimzi XK. Registration was easy and quick and race numbers were a good size. Only things to criticise were that we had to use a wrist band as a bike sticker and then have our numbers drawn with marker pen on our hand and leg.

When we went to transition it wasn’t numbered, it was rack as you come which meant that people didn’t get equal space. Only positive was I got to rack next to Angus and we could set up together. Once we had set up we went for a walk round the finish area, there were lots of tents and things to do for people watching.

The race briefing was really good and thorough, probably one of the best I've had. I still felt sick and put that down to nerves. When Angus and I got into the water it was disgusting, it was brown and muddy and when I put my foot down the crap at the bottom was half way between my ankle and knee. It took me a while to get the courage to put my head under, you couldn’t see a thing and there was crap all over. Angus kept asking me if I was alright as I didn’t look myself, he knew I’d be moaning about the water but at that point I was just trying not to puke. When we set off I closed my eyes and swam as many strokes at I could without breathing to avoid splash. By this point I was way out to the left and nobody was near me, I continuing swimming breathing every two over to the side. I wasn’t bothered anymore about where I was in the field and just wanted to throw up.

Well that’s just what happened, I’d just started swimming normally when I threw up, I swam breastroke while I brought all my breakfast back up. I felt a bit better after throwing up so starting swimming f/c again and was soon at the turn around and on my way back down the lake. Half way back and I didn’t feel good, I had a stream of snot coming out my nose and an awful headache. I swam breastroke for a bit and soon threw up again. I started swimming again and just wanted to get out.

When I got out I really didn’t want to get back in again but I did, I jumped in and started the second lap. I shut my eyes, only opening them to sight and breathed as little as possible. When I got out it was chucking it down and it was chilly when I took off my wetsuit.

Transition didn’t go very smoothly, I got my visor wrapped round my pedal and things weren’t going my way. Despite my bad swim I still was in a good position to challenge for the overall podium.

Going out on the bike I was quite cold and I tried cycling fast to warm up but with the cold wind and the rain I was just getting colder. After 5miles I could no longer feel my feet and my hands were going numb and it was still raining. I was feeling ill/sick so I didn’t drink or have any gels, I couldn’t feel my hands enough to have them even if I wanted to. I had done 9 miles in the rain and I just didn’t feel like cycling anymore, I was cold and felt awful. My body was telling myself to stop but my head said I was going to finish no matter what.

I was a couple of miles away from finishing the first lap of the bike and I had completely lost the feeling in my hands, I couldn’t change gear and struggled to try and brake. I kept swapping hands and wiggling my fingers to get some life in them. I wasn’t sure whether I could continue, my body was telling me to stop and I didn’t want to listen to it and I started crying while cycling as I didn’t know what to do with myself.

I got back to the transition area and the support there was great and despite everything I continued for the second lap, half a mile later and I coasted to a stop and put my hands under my arm pits to warm them up, I couldn’t do this. Lots of competitors were asking me if I was okay and slowing down near me which was really nice. I started crying again which brought the attention of a lady who was in a hut a couple of metres away. She brought me a blanket and told me come inside and warm up but I wanted to get back on my bike but she talked me round and got a paramedic to come.

I sat grumpily in the shelter next to the heater and then a paramedic came and checked my blood pressure, glucose levels and temperature. They then took me back in the ambulance to the paramedic tent to sit next to a heater as I was still shaking. They even let my bike sit next to me in the tent too.

I didn’t know what had happened to Angus as I could see the finish from the tent but hadn’t seen him yet and was expecting him to be one of the first finishers. When he finished he came straight to the medical tent after he saw that my bike wasn’t in transition. It was then he told me about his puncture. We were both grumpy all the way home - Angus could have easily finished on the podium and I was on for a podium finish too - we both could have had prize money. Very disappointing.

When we got home we had a nice warm shower, hot chocolate and cuddled up on the Sofa. We managed to cheer each other up a bit, mainly Angus cheering me up though (sorry for being moody and crying most of the afternoon Angus :/). Pulling out of a race was one of the worst things I’ve ever done and made me feel really down. It probably was the right decision to stop but it that didn’t make me not feel like a failure.

Putting that behind us, we both need to smash National Champs tomorrow and bring back some medals!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading.

Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 race season starts tomorrow....

Battle Oats Product Review

2018 season fast approaching...